Passaro surname

Posted by Michael Maddi on May 13, 2005 at 21:49:05:

I have been researching my Sicilian/Italian family history for almost 4 years now, with most of the research being done on my paternal Sicilian ancestors.

In the last year I have begun researching my maternal ancestors from Basilicata and Puglia. I just found the microfilmed marriage record for my great-grandparents, Eustachio Colaninno and Maria Gaetana Passaro. They were the parents of my maternal grandmother (Angiola) Raffaela Colaninno. They were married in 1863 in Gravina and the record states that Eustachio was born there.

The record also states that Maria Gaetana was 20 years old and was born in Matera. Her parents were Raffaele Passaro, deceased, and Angiola Raffaela (surname unclear). The surname has 6 letters. The first letter in her surname is "m"; the second letter is "e" or possibly "o"; the third and fourth letters look the same, either "n" or "r"; and the last two letters are too difficult to read.

If anyone is familiar with the Passaro surname in Matera or nearby comuni or can help me decipher the surname of Maria Gaetana's mother, please respond.

Mike Maddi
Houston, TX

Follow Ups

Post a Followup

Subject : Re: Passaro surname
If you like, clicking on "Preview Message" you can check your message before you post it. Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".