Re: DiClemente/Marchegiano/DiFilippo

Italian Heritage Forums: Province of Chieti

Posted by Bob Marchegiano on July 14, 2006 at 05:16:10:

In Reply to: DiClemente/Marchegiano/DiFilippo posted by Bob Clements on January 25, 2006 at 19:32:38:

My name is Bob Marchegiano. My dad was John Marchegiano, born in Camden in 1907. I know
very little of my family history. My grandfather, Donato Marchegiano died before I was born. I
saw very little of my father after the age of 5 due to divorce, and my mother was estranged from
his family after that, so very little Marchegiano family history was passed down to me. I grew up
on Kenwood Ave. in Camden. My grandmother, Elizabeth Ruggiero (first husband Donato,
remarried to Dominic Ruggiero) lived on Ormand Ave. I believe your grandparents John and Rosa
Clements lived next door to my grandparents. I remember your grandfather, who we were told to
call Zio Giovanni (Seejuan was how we pronounced it) so I assume he was my father's uncle by
marriage to Rosa. He smoked smelly stogies and tried to teach me how to count in Italian. This
was in the early to mid 1940s. I have no memory of your grandmother so she may have been
gone by then. The only thing I knew about my grandfather's origin was he was "from Chieti". My
aunt Elizabeth Horner (nee Marchegiano) told me that many years ago and that's about all I knew
until yesterday. I found a Donato Marchegiani (note the spelling) who arrived June, 1902, at age
19 on the "Trojan Horse" out of Genova, city of origin was Casolicontrada (sp) all of this
according to the ship manifest. So either there are a lot of coincidences here or we are 3rd
cousins. I would really appreciate hearing from you and more about my grandfather's family-
othe r brothers/sisters etc. I know there were other Marchegianos in Camden but I believe they
changed their name to Marsh or something like that. The names Joe and Ralph come to mind but
I don't remember ever meeting them or their off-spring.

Looking foreward to hearing from you.
Bob Marchegiano
3533 Lakeway Drive
Ellicott City, MD, 21042
410-531-5128

Follow Ups

Post a Followup

Subject : Re: DiClemente/Marchegiano/DiFilippo
Comments:
If you like, clicking on "Preview Message" you can check your message before you post it. Your message is not finalized until you click "Post Message".