DeMartino from Altavilla Irpina
I have just started trying to trace the genealogy on my father's side of the family. His name was Nicholas DeMartino, and he was born 10-11-09 in Avellino, Italy. I believe his father's name was Thomas, and his mother was Jenny Lepore (at least Jenny was her American name). The family came to America when dad was 3 -- around 1912. My grandfather Thomas returned to Italy shortly after the family was settled to take care of some "business". His family was told he had taken ill and had died in Italy. A daughter, Mary, was born in America. My grandfather was a headstone carver by trade, according to my dad.
My father's mother died when he was 17 -- Christmas Eve -- and that would have been around 1926. I know she was only in her mid 30's -- perhaps 36. I wish someone working on the Lepore or DeMartino genealogies would contact me.
I know nothing other than that. Can anyone offer some help into my research???? I remember my father crying -- one of the few times I ever witnessed such a sight -- when we learned of the earthquake in Avellino years ago. He was precious to me... and anything I can pass on to his grandchildren regarding his heritage would be a blessing. Thanks for any help.
Update from Forums' Editor
- [(Ellis Island), 1892-1924 Roll 2002, vol 4503-4505, 10 Jan 1913]: Lepore Giovanna, 25 contact in Italy father Francesco in Altavilla; De Martino Nicola 3, London 2; all born in Altavilla, directed to father Tommaso De Martino Brooklyn NY
- Birth record Altavilla Irpina 15 Oct 1909 no.182, img 125: Nicola De Martino, of Tommaso, 26, stone carver, Giovannina Lepore; address strada San Pellegrino.
- Birth record Altavilla Irpina 8 Apr 1911 no.81 img 63: London De Martino, of Tommaso, 28, stone carver, Giovannina Lepore; address strada Annunziata.
- Birth record Altavilla Irpina 8 Apr 1883 no.81 img 63: Tommaso De Martino, of Francesco, 50, Iuliano Maria Saveria; address strada Irpina.
- Marriage banns 31 Oct 1908, no.10 parte 2: in the comune of Tufo - Tommaso De Martino, 25, stone carver of Francesco, 50, Iuliano Maria Saveria; Giovannina Lepore, 21, born in Torrioni, domiciled in Tufo, of Francesco, and Avella Caterina.
- Death record Altavilla Irpina 19 May 1922 no.37 img.22: Tommaso De Martino, 39, of Francesco, Iuliano Maria Saveria, husband of Lepore Giovanna; address Corso Umberto I.
- Re: DeMartino from Altavilla Irpina - TOM DE MARTINO 04:24:33 07/17/10
- Re: DeMartino from Altavilla Irpina - Lois Androsiglio 22:15:36 07/30/06
- Re: DeMartino from Altavilla Irpina - Heather Ware 11:41:32 07/14/06
- Re: DeMartino from Altavilla Irpina - Carlos Marranzini 03:25:20 09/12/05 (4 replies)
- Re: DeMartino from Altavilla Irpina - Pat 00:56:11 04/24/05