Looking for Loro family of Castelvetere sul Calore

Posted by Matt Richards on May 11, 2005 at 08:25:38:

I am looking for any information on the Loro family of Castelvetere sul Calore, not far from Avellino.

My great-grandfather Salvatore Loro was born and raised there in 1879. I know vague facts that he may have been in some sort of cavalry-related military unit, after his discharge from which, he immingrated to the United States (Philadelphia) in 1904.

His parents were Antonio and Maria Grazia Loro, with Salvatore being their oldest child. Their other children were Domenic (1884), Paul (1893) and Michael.

Salvatore married (by arranged marriage) a woman named Maria Violano, whose parents, while living in Connecticut at the time, were originally from Castelvetere sul Calore. After a sudden bout of what seems to be mental instability, her parents sent her back to Castelvere sul Calore to live, where as far as I know, she died. Her son, my great uncle "Popeye," was in the U.S. Army and stormed the beachhead at Anzio, used to sneak away from his unit at night to bring food to his mother. She was still alive at least in 1944.

I learned from a relative that the Loros apparently have a house or land in Castelvetere sul Calore dating back 300 years.

If anyone has any information about Loros in Castelvetere, I'd love to hear about it.

Follow Ups

Post a Followup

Subject: Re: Looking for Loro family of Castelvetere sul Calore
Comments:
With "Preview" you can see and, in case, edit your message before you "Post" it.