Re: Looking for Zingales & Fabio relatives from Longi, ME Sicily

Posted by Francine on November 07, 2007 at 06:23:11:

In Reply to: Re: Looking for Zingales & Fabio relatives from Longi, ME Sicily posted by Frank Caramelli on July 03, 2007 at 23:16:35:

Hi Frank --
Have not checked this site for a very long time. My grandmother's maiden name was Fabio. I know she had sisters (3 I think) and that she and my grandfather lived on E126th St. in Cleveland -- the neighborhood referred to as "Little Italy". My grandparents were married in Holy Rosary Church.

I was told that my grandmothre (Maria Rosa Fabio) actually traveled to the US twice. The first time - June 1906 at age 19 when she arrived she could not locate my grandfather at Ellis Island, so she returned to Longi by boat. He again saved enough money and paid her passage a second time in June 1907. It amazes me that she had the courage to make that voyage twice!

I do have a cousin, Sam Zingales who moved to S. California. I found a mass card for Josephine Fabio b 3/11/36 d 3/30/1995 in my mother's possessions, but I do not know the relationship to our family -- could be a cousin.

How was your visit to Longi? We heard that the town had been destroyed by an eruption or tidal wave and that none of the old town records were available. My sisters and I would like to visit there someday.

Perhaps you, too will check this site and respond to my note.

Ciao

Follow Ups

Post a Followup

Subject: Re: Looking for Zingales & Fabio relatives from Longi, ME Sicily
Comments:
With "Preview" you can see and, in case, edit your message before you "Post" it.