Ciapanna relatives from Colonnella

Posted by Ed on October 03, 2010 at 19:59:40:

Hello: My grandparents who moved to the United States in the early 1900s are from Colonnella. My Grandfather was Alfonzo Ciapanna and my Grandmother was Grace DiBatista. My Grandfather, Alphonso Ciapanna arrived in the US on March 15, 1910 on a ship called "Roma" which departed from Naples. He was 14 at the time, so his year of birth must have been 1896 or right around that year. He mentions as contact in Italy his mother Domenica, he is joining his father Domenico.

I am unable to find my Grandmother Grace DiBatista on the Ellis Island web site. I seem to recall that my mother told me she was on the same ship as my Grandfather, but her name doesn't appear on the manifest.

My Grandfather had a brother, Guerino Ciapanna who arrived in the US on September 9, 1920 when he was 18 years old. So his year of birth must have been around 1902. He arrived on a ship called "Mexico" which departed from Havre, France. I don't know how he came to be in France.

I was wondering how I can find out if I have any relatives who still live in Italy. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Update from Forums' Editor

From records made available online at familysearch.org:
  • Immigration manifest [Roll 568, vol 1183-1184, 2 May 1905] for his father Domenico says he is 38, directed to brother in law Nunziato Cristofaro?
  • Immigration manifest [(Ellis Island), 1892-1924 Roll 2646, vol 6188-6189, 22 May 1919] for Guerino says mother Domenica in Colonnella, directed to father Domenico
  • [possible] United States Census, 1940 Pennsylvania Philadelphia City, Ward 36 51-1352 - 36 (Tract 36-D - part) Alfred Ciapanna, tailor, wife Grace is 34
  • Pennsylvania Passengers 070 - v. 117, Oct 9, 1909-Nov 21, 1909 - Gratia Di Batista from Fossacesia, age 4, traveling with mother Maria Pace 27, directed to father Antonio, 821 Christian Street (same street as Domenico Ciapanna)

Follow Ups

Post a Followup

Subject: Re: Ciapanna relatives from Colonnella
Comments:
With "Preview" you can see and, in case, edit your message before you "Post" it.